Followers

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ho Hum


Do you remember a time in your life when you wanted to be special? For me it was when I was a child. Being one of six, it was survival of the fittest. Whoever needed the most attention was the one that got it. When I remember telling my father about my first migraine--what was happening to my vision and how my hand was numb and I was partially blinded--his answer was to give me an aspirin and tell me to lay down. If that were happen today, we would be rushing our kids to the hospital!! 

Two of my favorite quotes are "be careful what you wish for" and "you don't always get what you want, you get what you need". I got my wish in an unexpected way. I became special in the sense that the doctors couldn't agree as to what was wrong with me. Having to make visit after visit to various doctors became tiring, and we kept finding nothing. So I kept living with the pain.
Around the pain of the migraines, my "superpowers" really showed themselves. I could predict the weather based on how my head felt. I was like Storm from X-Men, but nowhere near as fit. Let's not even discuss the costume! So I wished to be special and I was. But I didn't want to be special anymore, I just wanted to be pain-free.
After years of struggle with doctors and medicines I have found a combination of things that help me with my pain. My "superpowers" aren't as strong, but neither is my pain. Now for the first time I'm happy to be the simple person that I am.

There is nothing special about me being able to achieve pain relief. It is there for all to have; all you have to do is want it. I'm not saying it is easy; it took me years of struggle to achieve relief--but with the right support you can get it. Don't let yourselves suffer. Don't let the medical field tell you how to feel and never accept the pain you are living in. There are so many things that Chronic Migraine aggravates; relief in one area could mean the beginning of healing in others. Everyone needs to stand up for their right to live pain free. We should be happy: there is nothing happy about pain.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do realize how special in fact you are!! You're helping countless numbers of people in the work you do with the Chronic Migraine Awareness Association!! You've helped, many gain back enpowerment in thier horrific lives & a sense of validation. In all our lives all we want to be is painfree. Especially those that are chronic suffers. You've shown them ways to vent, cry or even have an ear to listen to them. You may not have a costume like Storm from X-Men, but you wear a badge in your heart that says, "I've helped & still am here to help." And we as chronic pain patients THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete